Batons: yay or nay?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Batons: yay or nay?

Post by 0051 on 4/17/2015, 21:29

I have always been curious about batons. They are compact, cheap, can be carried almost anywhere, and easy to use. But i have also noticed that in self defense manuals, batons seem to be the easiest weapon to defend against. Any thoughts?

C.A.A. TSI Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Batons: yay or nay?

Post by 0001 on 4/17/2015, 23:45

Batons are.....interesting. They definitely serve a purpose, especially in the LE/Security world. They also are upper-echelon as far as use of force is concerned. They can be very effective, and hurt a lot. But they are also not too difficult to defend against if you know what you're doing. The thing is not very many people do. They can be an effective tool for self defense, and definitely add weight to a blow!
Admin

Chief Instructor C.A.A.

View user profile http://trainingsolutionsinternational.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JCSarge on 5/2/2015, 19:46

My thoughts on the baton are that they are a tool, just like firearms, pepperspray, Tasers, etc. They are an additional option when other tools don't work or aren't appropriate for the situation. I've used the baton when empty hand techniques and pepperspray failed (no Tasers, at the time), and it served its purpose. With a baton, you can take strike arms and legs and, if used correctly, put those limbs out of commission. Sometimes a simple "love tap" on the back of the knee can cause the leg to buckle and the suspect to go to the ground, allowing restraint of that person.

JCSarge

ZERO Master Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 0001 on 5/3/2015, 13:14

That's true, they are good for pain compliance and for unlocking joints or creating "dead" limbs. And they extend your reach and add force to blows.
Admin

Chief Instructor C.A.A.

View user profile http://trainingsolutionsinternational.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JCSarge on 5/3/2015, 14:09

Absolutely!

JCSarge

ZERO Master Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down